You Know You're Swiss If...
When you say you are Swiss, does the other person say "Sweden"?
What about thinking all cows wear bells?
Or have you crossed the Röstigraben?
You know you're Swiss IF...
- you've ever been confused with a Swede.
- you laugh when Americans believe Swiss Miss is a Swiss product, but then have no clue that Nestlé and Rolex ARE.
- you get frustrated if you go grocery shopping abroad and there aren't at least 10 different kinds of chocolate and 15 kinds of cheese available.
- you have learned three to four languages and think this is completely normal.
- you have ever been asked - upon stating your nationality - whether you live in the mountains and whether you can yodel.
- you know what "Röschti" are and you have crossed the "Röschtigrabe" at some point.
- to you, skis are like the extensions of your feet, because you've skied since you could walk.
- you are amused when people ask you what language is spoken in your home country and/or you have to explain that "Swiss" is not a language, that there are four national languages and none of them is called "Swiss"!
- you owned a Swatch growing up... or still do.
- as a female, you give all your friends three kisses on the cheeks as a greeting.
- you love Migros and you swear that some of their products are better than anything you've ever seen elsewhere.
- you've ever been asked by your non-Swiss friends to intervene in a fight and used "hey, I'm Swiss" as an excuse not to.
- your country has six different public television channels in three different languages - and you don't think this is unusual.
- you get amused when you see Swiss German people being subtitled on German television.
- you firmly believe it is more important to do things accurately than to do them quickly.
- you were legally allowed to drink beer and wine at the age of sixteen.
- you walked to kindergarten without supervision, wearing a large orange triangle around your neck.
- you think it's normal that everyone has a bunker underneath their house, or is registered for one of the public bunkers under the school building, for emergency situations... by the way, here's a fun thing to do: invite over some of your foreign friends (Americans make very good candidates) and take a picture of the look on their face when they SEE the bunker. Priceless!
- when being asked to explain how certain things work in your country, you have to use the phrase "it differs for each canton, so...
- you are asked to vote on a "Referendum" or "Initiative" at least 3 or 4 times a year.
- you grew up believing all cows must wear bells.
- you think that driving somewhere for four hours is a hell of a long time.
- you get slightly irritated or at least confused if your foreign visitors ask to see a chocolate factory.
- you don't see where the problem is when every male citizen who has been to the army has an assault rifle under his bed.
- no matter how much of a "bad-ass" you think you are, you will still pick up your candy wrapper off the floor if an old lady asks you too.
This feature requires Flash player to be installed